This ornate gun and ammunition limber were produced by the East India Company’s gun foundry at Cossipore near Calcutta. It was one of a set intended for presentation to Maharaja Ranjit Singh by George Eden, Lord Auckland, and Governor General, on the conclusion of treaty negotiations in 1838. The guns were presented with 200 rounds of shot and shell intended for a planned Anglo-Sikh invasion of Afghanistan. This was kept at the Firepower Museum in Royal Woolwich, Arsenal. The guns were captured 7 years later in action at the Battle of Ferozeshah, not far from Ferozepore where the guns were first presented.
Coutesy of Simhq